Re: Been a while...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gordon (other posts) on August 10, 2015 at 20:02:38:

In Reply to: Re: Been a while... posted by luke on August 10, 2015 at 18:29:11:

> Windows 10 privacy details:

> https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

> includes all the points I mentioned.

OK, but nothing there is particularly concerning, in the context of what I wrote.

If you turn on Bitlocker to encrypt your local hard drive, you'd DAMNED well better have the keys saved SOMEWHERE, or else you're just basically all but shredding all your data.

As for Cortana learning about you, if you want to talk to her with requests like "Hey, Cortana, what's my stock portfolio looking like today?" or "Hey, Cortana, what's the weather like outside?" or "Hey, Cortana, what's on my calendar for tomorrow?" then obviously she's got to know what stocks you have, where you are, or what's on your agenda. Also, anyhow, note that Cortana defaults to OFF (you have to turn her on if you want her).

Your web browsing habits get tracked regardless of what browser you use, or which OS it's running under, and (as I pointed out) by multiple organizations. And that's (also) true regardless of what search engine you use, or where you found the links you click on.

So the whole brouhaha about Windows 10 security is just so much nonsense, I think.

By the way, today's US-CERT advisory lists numerous newly discovered Linux kernel bugs and holes, too.

Follow Ups:

CLICK HERE TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

[ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]