Re: Room For Me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by luke (other posts) on August 06, 2014 at 17:29:20:

In Reply to: Re: Room For Me? posted by Gordon on August 06, 2014 at 11:30:58:

: And we all saw just how effectively the Occupy movement was quashed by the Rethuglicans a few years ago.

Actually not: Occupy was an infusion of fresh blood into the activist scene here in DC. We are still storming buildings, etc here, and I have been involved in several outright victories won with non-electoral tactics. Not to dismiss elections, but I believe every tool in the toolbox has a job to do.

Last year (2013), it was DC Occupiers who spearheaded a fierce battle with police when we stormed the GAP on Mayday over that Balgladesh factory fire that killed 1,200 workers. They had started out inexperienced and taking injuries we experienced activists would not have gotten, but by 2013 had hardened into an iron core of experienced fighters, so the cops used more ice packs and aspirin that night than we did.

I was part of the outfit that forced Goldman-Sachs to dump the vivisection company Huntingdon Live Sciences (via Fortress in whom they had invested), for instance. I was part of the sucessful 1988 fight to force Ronald Reagan to cancel a planned invasion of Honduras, from which troops were brought home undeployed after three weeks, part of the campaign to force US withdrawal from Iraq, etc.

Strongest example though is probably that I bottomlined defense of DC's gay woods from 1989 through 1999. We held off the entire strength of the US Park Police with just a few insurgents after I simply trained as many of my dates as would listen in basic tactics of using the land, cover and concealment, etc.

The Occupy raids relied on the fact that most of the general public that gave Occupy higher ratings than the Tea Party wasn't ready for these camps to resist police raids by force and either take over other parks or come right back. As a result, we were short on fighterss.

Follow Ups:

CLICK HERE TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

[ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]