Re: What about cultural reasons for having SHORT hair [PIC]

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary (other posts) on March 16, 2014 at 10:03:30:

In Reply to: Re: What about cultural reasons for having SHORT hair posted by Bill on March 16, 2014 at 07:13:09:

I'm with you about the disco music, Bill. I especially hate Rap, Hip-Hop, and Techno. Thank God for earphones.

For me, my identity is connected with everything any human has ever done or said. I feel at one with the evolving species. And delving into it all is just a heck of a lot of fun. To each one's own.

I like the way Whitman said it: "I am an acme of things accomplish'd, and I an encloser of things to be... Immense have been the preparations for me... All forces have been steadily employ'd to complete and delight me...."

And he had a great head of hair!

: For me, it's not at all cultural. Being a longhaired male is my identity. Delving into "why" would be as futile as delving into why I am attracted to men. Transgender people talk about their "gender identity", but identity is identity. My "longhaired male" identity is just as strong. What the Romans did two thousand years ago has nothing to do with it. What my father did just seventy years ago has nothing to do with it. What gay people did thousands of miles away on the coasts had nothing to do with it. Identity, like sexual orientation, you are either born with or you got it so early you feel like you were, so what's the difference? None.

: Identity can pick up some hair and clothing styles along the way. They fine tune and amplify your identity but they don't change it. I came of age during the hippie era, and my identity includes my hippie look. That is now part of my identity and it is no more going to change than my sexual orientation.

: I like rock music from the hippie era. The thing I hate most about living in a gay neighborhood is being subjected to all the disco music. That may have been absorbed into some men's identity, but it wasn't into mine. I will no more ever like disco music, short hair, and yuppie clothing than I will ever like girls.

: I would no more have short hair or wear yuppie clothing than I would have a sex change operation. That defines the difference between whether something is an identity issue or just a fashion statement.

: Bill

Follow Ups:

CLICK HERE TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

[ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]