Re: What about cultural reasons for having SHORT hair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by flippin Gary (other posts) on March 15, 2014 at 17:05:29:

In Reply to: Re: What about cultural reasons for having SHORT hair posted by Rktect on March 15, 2014 at 14:58:06:

You're right, Jason, it's all about non-conformism. There is something in some of us that wants not to conform. There was a time when nonconformism was part of the gay movement, briefly. About the time both you and I were coming of age, Jason. Gays were coming out, hippies were coming out, the Beatles were growing their hair out, and it all seemed to be part of the same movement. But that unity only lasted a short while, and it seems to me that the gay community became internally more conformist, within the confines of being an officially recognized non-conformist group in the larger society. Does that make sense? Like you, I find straights much more accepting of long hair than gays. Let's face it, we all had a hard time in high school, coming to terms with our homosexual feelings in the context of a very conformist, trend-crazy society: a high school. I believe that coming out as gay is about all the non-conformity a lot of guys can tolerate. So once they're there, they conform to the internal trends of that officially accepted non-conformist group.

Follow Ups:

CLICK HERE TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

[ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]