Language, communication, and other fun stuff...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken in SF (other posts) on September 24, 2013 at 09:25:29:

In Reply to: Re: OMG, it worked -- my first +ntilde; (N/T)! posted by Ed in Mexico on September 24, 2013 at 07:00:50:

Hi there Ed in Mexico,

I greatly enjoyed reading your reply!!

Yes, I'm familiar with Año Nuevo State Park, in fact have driven down that San Mateo County coast (or is it Santa Cruz county by then?) many times -- although never seemed to time things right for me to check out the elephant seals on the beach during the winter months (but did see them at Piedras Blancas, which is just south of the Big Sur coast).

When I was in high school, one of the few classes that I got good grades in was Spanish class -- go figure, because I still speak it like a damn Gringo, regardless! Coming originally from the Chicago area and then moving out to San Francisco in '77, I had no idea I would become such a long-term Californian; but hey, having worked in both the restaurant world and also in gardening / landscaping, my high school Spanish has come in very handy -- even if I have to sheepishly admit to STILL speaking like a damn Gringo (LOL)!!

Anyway, thanks again for the fun reply! It was definitely a great read, and made me laugh at the governor Arnold all over again -- as well as laugh at the idiosyncrasies of human nature and language in general... a nice breath of fresh air!!

- Ken

: As you probably know Ken in S.F., there is a beach south of you, Ao Nuevo, New Year's beach and without the tilde, you will be enjoying the day at New Anus beach. As the old saying goes, careful what you wish for! Glad you not only found out about your mistake and corrected it, you had lots of fun in the process. We learn really fast from these kinds of mistakes. You may know that when you say you are embarazada, you aren't saying you are embarrassed, you are saying you are pregnant, not a good mistake to make on "Ano" Nuevo Beach. On my Mac I can switch keyboards and living in Mexico I seldom switch back to the English. T and tu are you and yours... so here's to you and yours! Ed
: p.s. I'm originally from La Honda and went to High School in Pescadero, and danced my butt off at a club called "The City", North Beach, Montgomery at Broadway in the '70's, learned a lot of "fun" Spanish along the way. Behind La Honda is Mindigo Creek, mendigo is beggar, stingy, tightfisted, mean. To the northeast of S.F. is Putah Creek, puto is man whore, puta is woman whore although there is a word in Miwok that has to do with a grassy creek, so MAYBE it isn't from the Spanish and Mexicans of old California, then again maybe the Spanish speakers had a good laugh when trying to talk to the Miwoks, and even more laughs as the English speakers adopted the names from them. Add another wrinkle and you get the governor Arnold speaking with a German accent in Sacramento, California. Just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Follow Ups:

CLICK HERE TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

[ Gay Longhair ] [ FAQ ]